Thursday, July 1, 2021

Cataract Surgery- Streak #2 Ends

 The joys of getting older. My vision started getting blurry and rather than keep getting new glasses, I decided to check out Lazik which corrects vision by reshaping the cornea with Lasers. My Lazik appointment resulted in the conclusion that I had cataracts. There is now technology where a corrective multi focal lens can be implanted after the cloudy cataract lens is removed. This would eliminate the need for glasses (theoretically). Night vision may suffer with enhanced glare and poorer vision in dim lighting. But normal lighting should have good vision closeup for reading through long distance. So, why not spend the $ and be glasses free for the first time in 60 years! Since these high tech lenses are placed in the eye after precise laser incisions are made and then just left to heal, any jarring of the eye was to be avoided. Therefore, no running. I chose a date to end my second running streak, July 5th 2021or Run Streak Day 1234. A number I could remember later. Surgery on my worst, left eye took place July 7th. Vision went from 20/400 (5 Diopters correction) to 20/50 (less than 1 Diopter). After a few days it improved a bit and 20/30 after a week. Distance vision was blurry, especially since the right eye was about 20/100. After 11 days I was cleared to run but that only left 4 days before my right eye surgery. I ran gently 6 miles, then 7 , 9 and 8 miles. But that felt nice to be back out and running without glasses, seeing the trail surface clearly and identifying people I know!

On June 21st, the right eye was done. Vision with two eyes was much improved. Closeup and medium distance (10 feet or so) was quite clear and much more brilliant since the cataracts had put a yellow tinge on everything. So now, whites look whiter than I can remember. Distance is still blurry but I can drive and shop etc. Looks like it is 20/25 (barely) with two eyes. The surgeons said it takes up to 90 days for full stabilization with vision improving during that time. If it still needs correction in 90 days, Lazik “touchup” is included in the package. So we’ll see how it turns out. Now it is July 1 and next checkup is July 6th. Running every day will resume on July 4th. The fireworks might not be impressive, but the running will be!



No comments:

Post a Comment