Monday, June 6, 2022

2021 Boston Qualifying for 2023 Boston Marathon

 2020 taught me a lesson that is validated by ultra-ultra runners like Pete Kostelnick (who for one thing ran self supported pushing a baby stroller from Alaska to Key West). That lesson is consistent injury free high mileage builds a strong base that reduces fatigue during long hard efforts like a marathon. That is why in 2020 I ran my fastest marathon in 8 years following a summer which included 13 consecutive 100+ mile weeks with max of 140 mile weeks and 10 consecutive 20 mile runs. In 2021 life started returning to more normalcy so frequent (daily) 20 mile runs were not happening. There was also a break of a couple weeks to heal from cataract surgery and some short run days following Lasik touchup treatment. That was totally worth it because I can see clearly with no glasses. Running in the rain used to be like pulling my cap visor down to keep rain off my glasses. Now it's like turn the cap around and let the rain hit my face because it feels so good!

I planned to try, again, to qualify for the Boston marathon by again running the November  Stony Creek Marathon. Build up was sporadic due to vacations and my fathers death at 95 years old in early August. That week I ran 95 miles in commemoration of his wonderful life. Up until October, 45-75 mile weeks were the norm. About a month out from the marathon I ran 20 mile runs every day for 5 days and had a 110 mile week followed by more 70 mile weeks. 95% of runs were in the 11's pace with some scattered long runs in the 9's. I needed a marathon time of 4:20:00 or 9:55/mile to qualify but I wanted 4:10:00 or 9:32/mile to give a 10 minute cushion in case many more runners qualify than spots are open. Unlike 2020, the temperatures did not drop during the race, rather, like normal, they increased from 30's to 50's with full sun. Not as strong as last year, the first 6 miles were in the low 9's/min pace, the next 6 were mid 9's, the next 6 were upper 9's, the next 6 were around 10 pace. During the last 6 miles I actually stopped at a water stop and drank cup after tiny tiny cup of gatorade. That helped to level the pace right at 10 with a cumulative pace by mile 24 of 9:40. I didn't want to lose much more of the cushion so kept pushing. The last 0.2 was at 9:18 pace finishing in 4:14:42 for a BQ with a 5 min 18 second cushion. A Boston Qualifier 11 years after running my last Boston marathon! Like Des Linden says: "Keep showing up!".

But will I get accepted to actually run Boston?   When more runners qualify that there are spots, they take the fastest times until it is filled. the difference between the Qualifying time and the time need to be accepted is called the "cutoff time". The 2022 Boston marathon had a zero min cutoff time so if you BQ'd you were in. In 2021 the field size was cut from 30,000 to 20,000 so the cutoff time was 7:47! In 2019 the cutoff was 4:52. then they changed the Qualifying time to make everybody have to run 5 minutes faster.  That brought the cutoff for 2020 to just 1:39.  However, during the past couple years "super shoes" with carbon plates became more mainstream for Joe or Josephine runner so more runners are qualifying because the shoes give you a good 5 minutes faster completion. It will be very "exciting" "nerve-wracking" to see in September, when I apply, if 5:18 will beat the cutoff for Boston 2023. Fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment